A Part of American History, Orphan Trains

Look through the links on Orphan Trains.  See if you can find your orphan or at least the state they moved to.  Over 150, 000 children moved on the Orphan Trains before the Civil War up to the Great Depression.  Yet, there is no mention of this event in your text book.  Why not?  Take a minute and think about this.  Be sure to include any information about your orphan that you read about in your justification.  Discuss your thoughts here on the blog.

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: http://orphantrain.edublogs.org/about/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

17 Comments      Leave a comment.

1. on November 7, 2013 at 10:22 amLindseyc Said:

I feel the orphan train event is such A tragic event it is probably to difficult to explain just in words in some chapter. There were thousands of children all with diaries and opinions that a large history textbook couldnt even fill. The children that were on the train deserve more then a 4 page, limited detailed story. As well as the children today, they deserve to no what truly happened and feel interested in it, and a textbook definitally does not fill those needs.

2. on November 7, 2013 at 10:24 amIsabel Said:

I belive that they didn’t put that in the text book becuase they thought that the information would be to harsh to the readers. Imagine if 150,000 of your freinds, relatives, and neighboors were all of the sudden gone and sent off to a compleately different life style. My orphan didn’t know anyone for she was only 2 and a half years old while there were children in thier teens leaving the city who have lived there their entire life.

3. on November 7, 2013 at 10:29 amZac O Said:

One reason that the text books may not include this is because that the orphan trains are a part of our history that we don’t have a lot of information on. We know too little about it all to put a chapter in. This was a very important part of America’s history. Very little facts and information were kept. we are lucky to have people like Ethel Lambert to keep some information. this is a sad, yet interesting subject that had a huge effect on American life. We need more information though.

4. on November 7, 2013 at 10:29 amGabe S Said:

I think that the information was not put into the textbooks because they did not want to remind the orphans of what they went through. They may not have put it in the textbook because they assume that we would never do that again in America. The textbook makers are assuming that we would learn from history.

5. on November 7, 2013 at 11:01 amEvan B Said:

The orphan train is left out of out textbooks because there were a lot of missing facts and not to many details about it. They might not want to assume facts and details about the orphan train. Also, some orphan train riders may not want to talk about their past. It could bring back bad memories to orphan train riders. Some orphans were so young they might not even remember anything about the train.

6. on November 7, 2013 at 11:02 amSawyerH Said:

I believe that the reason why the Orphan Train period was not included in the textbook was because we don’t yet have a lot of information about it. In the years after it ended, I think it was forgotten or at least faded from people’s memories. We are fortunate to have volunteers like Ethel Lambert uncovering new information all the time. Another part of it may have been the horridness of the whole thing. Imagine, you must give up your child to an unknown person just to keep them alive. The Orphan Trains also took siblings away from siblings as they were adopted into great families. The Orphan Train period was a bittersweet one.

7. on November 7, 2013 at 11:03 amWalker J Said:

I believe that the textbook didn’t include the orphan trains because it was such a difficult period of time for the orphans. The way some of the orphan’s parents treated them was terrible. Some were worked like slaves. The textbook didn’t want to remind us that we enslaved our own children.

8. on November 7, 2013 at 11:06 amAdam C Said:

I feel that the orphan train was a good step in freeing all children from poverty. It moved 150,000 children from poverty to homes. If we hadn’t done that then their might not be as little poverty as their is now. Also many orphans grew up and married and had kids, then some of us might not be here. Louis L. Ruser, my person, had 11 children, 26 grandchildren, 64 great-grandchildren, and 16 great-great-grandchildren at the time of his death.

9. on November 7, 2013 at 11:07 amHolden M. Said:

I think that they do not have orphan trains in our textbook is because it was a very harsh time in our socitey and also there were other important things at that time like great deppression, WW1, and discrimination of African Americans. Though I think they should have the orphan train in the textbook because it is important and we still have orphans and people need to know about orphans.

10. on November 7, 2013 at 11:08 amBryce M Said:

One reason textbooks leave out the information about the orphan train because of the lack of information on the subject and the people that are still alive to talk about it may have already forgoten about it or just don’t want to talk about being an orphan. There are people that have found lots of information on the orphan train riders but we still need more to be able to put it into at chapter.

11. on November 7, 2013 at 11:08 amPayton H Said:

My oprhan was named Giovanni Gauna to later be called John Thomas. When he was two years old he was given up by his mother, unable to care for him to the child aid society. At five he went to North Dakota to his perminent family. I dont belive the Orphan Train is in the text books becasue earlier the orphans were thought of as dirty and unwanted. I think maybe they hid the information of the orphan train after the organization stopped because they thought people would despise it.I belive the Orphan Train should be heard and put in all histoical textbooks of that time.

12. on November 7, 2013 at 11:15 amNick M Said:

I believe that the orphan trains are not mentioned in the textbook because the authors felt that the event was too tragic. They thought that 150,000 children being moved from their families was too sad to explain to middle schoolers. The person I’m researching was taken from New York, and he didn’t know his own parents. The authors of the textbook most likely thought this type of movement was too sad, so it was not included in the textbook.

13. on November 7, 2013 at 11:15 amNeil S Said:

It is not in the text book because we did not have enough information about it and they did not want to assume anything about it or of it. Our information was limited to survivors and what was found in Ethel Lambert’s closet. Why all of that information was hidden I don’t know but I wish we had more of it. In the period of the orphan train many were thought of as unwanted and a disgrace. They may have thought it was not a big piece in our history when really it was. Saying that I think it should be in our textbooks.

14. on November 7, 2013 at 11:55 amJessica S. Said:

I think that the reason that the orphan trains were not in our textbooks is because the placements that were made weren’t always the best. It may have been painful to talk about and was sometimes a bad part of our country’s history. Even when the placements were good, they would probably often get overlooked when people saw all of the bad placements. Also, there is not a lot known about the subject. People found the letters many years after the Orphan Train ended, so it was widely unknown for a long period of time.

15. on November 7, 2013 at 12:00 pmlucy H Said:

Over the time that we learned about the orphan train, i learned so many things that i didn’t know before. Its a shame that they didn’t put anything about the orphan trains in our textbooks. I learned so much rich information about the orphans that rode on the orphan train. My orphan, Teresa, described how different her life was from my generation. I think that the writers of our textbook failed to mention the orphan train in the books because there is so much hurt in the orphans stories. and that is not something they wanted to project to their audiences.

16. on November 8, 2013 at 12:38 amOlivia L Said:

The reason the textbook may not have mentioned the Orphan Train is that they may not have acquired any or enough information on the subject. Though significant, the Orphan Train seems to have ceased to exist in history; an example of this would even be when we watched the video and learned about all of records were hidden behind the wall, and if the girl had never found them, then hundreds (maybe thousands) of priceless bits of history would have been forever lost. It is important that we honor the experiences of our ancestors, no matter difficult or pleasant, and enrich the world with a whole new side to history. Even though the text book’s current edition, unfortunately, doesn’t include anything about the Orphan Train, it should make an effort to stop depriving the world of more knowledge and the ancestors of revealing their past.

17. on December 7, 2013 at 1:34 pmBrendan S Said:

I believe the text book did not put the information in it because there is too much. There are journals and diaries about it and there are so many that we just can’t fit it all in a textbook. But, besides that we do not know a lot about it and they didn’t want to guess any information about it and give us false information. I wish they had more information because I want the orphan train in our textbook so we can learn more about it.